If you have a chair at hand, there’s no reason to miss out on this one. Our #TeamBulk ambassador @alexfitcleland has put together this chair full-body home workout to get the most out of this time spent indoors.
Expect your arms, shoulders and chest to burn more than with a classic press-up. This exercise will also challenge your balance so make sure to engage your core to get more stability. We recommend 4 sets of 8 reps each for this upper-body exercise.
- Start in a solid elevated plank position with your hands and wrists in line with your shoulders. Keep the core as tight as possible to maintain stability.
- Begin to bend your elbows to get your chest closer to the floor.
- With your elbows close to the sides, get your triceps involved to go even lower. Go as low as you can, as long as you can keep good form without straining your lower back.
- Start pushing back up to the initial plank position and keep going to complete the remaining sets.
Chair Tricep Dips
This exercise will work your triceps as well as your shoulders and core to maintain stability. Using your body weight will make you stronger and help you increase mass over time. Have a go at completing 3 sets of 12 reps each for this one.
- Start sitting down on the edge of your chair and placing your hands on each side. Shift your weight off the chair keeping your arms and knees bent.
- Straighten your arms and extend your legs to make the exercise more difficult (keep them bent if you’re working your way up to this one).
- Lower your body so that your elbows can bend and reach a 90-degree angle and pause in that position.
- Extend your arms to push back up and go back to the starting point.
Chair Bulgarian Split Squats
This lower-body exercise mainly targets your quads, hamstrings and glutes and it requires a fair amount of balance and co-ordination. It’ll get your core involved to maintain stability and good form. Try and do 3 sets of 10 reps for each leg.
- Place one foot on the chair behind you. Play around with the position of your foot on the ground to make sure you’re stable.
- Once you’re set, bend your standing leg and your back leg will start bending also. Stop when your back knee is about 1 inch off the ground. The challenge here is trying to stay evenly balanced keeping your front knee in line with your toes.
- Exhale as you press back to return to the initial standing position.
- Keep working on this leg for the rest of your reps and then change leg.
Chair Step-Up with Knee Raise
Here’s another one for your lower body but with the added benefit of getting you heart rate going. Do 4 sets of 10 reps each to work on your thighs and cardio training.
- Place a chair in front of you.
- As you step on it with one foot, drive the other one up to your chest.
- Place the foot back down and repeat on the other side.
Chair High Plank Knee-Ups
This is essentially a total-body workout in one exercise. It’ll boost your shoulder strength and stability and improve your endurance while working on your core. Complete 4 sets with 15 reps for each leg.
- Start in a plank position with your arms extended and hands gripping the sides of the chair.
- Keep your back flat and core tight to keep your hips in line and drive one of your knees as high as you can.
- Extend the leg to place your foot down and drive the other knee up.
- Repeat the same movements to complete your sets.
Recovery with Bulk Powders
To make the most out of this training session, we’ve rounded up our top products for your post-workout recovery. These formulas are ideal to look after muscle mass and maximise recovery time after exercising.
Keen to give our chair full-body home workout a go? Share your efforts on social media tagging @bulkpowders!